Purpose of Classification:
The purpose of this classification is to provide lead guidance, direction, and training to GIS Analysts and to analyze, design, and implement Geographic Information System (GIS) based solutions to meet County and department needs, to assist in enterprise.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Leads and coordinates daily work activities of assigned co-workers; confers with supervisor to obtain direction regarding work assignments and priorities; organizes tasks in order to complete assigned work; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; confers with co-workers; assists with complex/problem situations; provides technical expertise; assists with training and instructing co-workers regarding operational procedures and proper use of equipment; and assists with supervision of co-workers by reporting employee problems and providing input on disciplinary action and employee performance evaluations.
- Develops, installs, and maintains the GIS mapping and database system for the GIS department; installs and maintains servers and desktop software and hardware; troubleshoots software and database problems; creates standard or custom database queries and reports; and maintains the GIS server database and mapping applications.
- Provides highest-tier support for GIS system; manages data models and ensures compliance to design; explains data schemas; and provides technical support for workflows and procedures, in addition to software installation, configuration, and training. Configure and support GIS Desktop and cloud applications.
- Supports GIS in other departments; plans and implements GIS solutions; coordinates data exchange; supports major projects such as redistricting, site selection, geocoding, demographics, spatial statistics and address list creation; creates standard and custom maps and data products; and trains department staff. Working with, responding to, and taking direction from GIS Department Director
- Manages data; creates, maintains, analyzes, and ensures quality of data; creates new data layers for mapping projects; updates existing data sets to add features or information; ensures the accuracy of data from co-workers and outside sources; and organizes and arranges data for easy accessibility.
- Receives and responds to requests for data and information; provides information regarding map and data requests and special mapping project requests; writes invoices, collects money, and writes receipts; logs work tickets; tracks customer interaction; Participate in training, mentoring and monitoring the professional development of GIS Technicians and Analysts
- Participates in long-range GIS planning; prepares documents/data for US Census Bureau; scrubs census data; performs redistricting; attends webinars, monitors trade journals, and reviews regional news to keep up-to-date on trends and future needs; and plans future hardware and software purchases and deployment.
- Represents the department in meetings and in the community; writes articles for the department quarterly newsletter; describes and promotes GIS; coordinates activities for GIS Day; serves on committees; reviews grant proposals; recommends grant funding; and serves on purchasing committees for technology related Requests for Proposal.
- Demonstrates solid understanding of GIS theory and applications; clear understanding of ArcGIS Enterprise architecture, applications and functionality.
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Geographic Information Science, Engineering, Planning, Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field required; five years of experience in enterprise GIS mapping and database software; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Solid understanding of GIS theory and applications. Clear understanding of ArcGIS Enterprise architecture, applications and functionality.
Specific License or Certification Required: Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license and possession and maintenance of GIS Professional Certification (GISP) preferred.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.