Provide advanced analysis, programming, and testing to support the City's Geographic Information System (GIS) through maintenance of user and operating software, network administration, hardware acquisition and maintenance.
1. Acts as NT or Unix/Solaris systems manager for the distributed work-station design to ensure that the systems and networks remain accessible to all users.
2. Evaluates software and hardware performance by examining system accounting software and reports in order to make required tuning and performance adjustments.
3. Analyzes current and future software and hardware needs to determine modifications, additions, and deletions to existing system; makes recommendations to improve system reliance and performance.
4. Assists in specification development, acquisition, installation and maintenance of software, hardware, and network materials to ensure smooth deployment of the GIS.
5. Provides daily, operational support to end user and systems in all areas of GIS deployment and use.
6. Develops system documentation and tutorials and trains other city employees in use of GIS applications.
7. Establishes user accounts for Internet access and e-mail; coordinates with CIS to establish user accounts for various intra-city networks (e.g., Council Agenda, Service Request, etc.) Coordinates with CIS to improve the quality, integrity, and security of the Geographic Information Systems database through resolution of technical problems involving hardware and/or software.
8. Leads project development, when assigned, including overseeing work assignments, scheduling, performance reviews, and other personnel actions to ensure productivity and quality standards are maintained.
9. Analyzes and develops GIS programming responses for application development and information from users, technicians, and analysts in customer departments. Provides customized reports for management decisions by programming against the GIS database.
10. Modifies and maintains existing GIS applications and software to improve system efficiency.
11. Maintains access and security to the GIS database.
12. Analyzes GIS programs and use problems to determine corrective action necessary to resolve new design, programming procedure change, and user training
13. Installs and verifies the accuracy of updates and additions to GIS database to ensure the integrity of the database and the accuracy of reports generated by programming against it.
14. Regular, reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the job.
Bachelor's degree in computer science/Geographic Information Systems (GIS) OR a science, math, geography, or business field with at least fifteen (15) college hours in computer science/GIS plus one (1) year experience involving the design and/or implementation of GIS database mapping systems involving LAN/WAN, microcomputer, and/or mobile device applications. Effective oral and written communication and strong relational database skills are required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Working Conditions and Hazards:
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.