Summary of Duties
Thurston County is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of GIS Analyst I within the Information Technology Department GeoData team.
Information Technology provides desktop, network, application, telecommunication, and geographical information system (GIS) services to about 1200 employees in County offices and departments in various locations throughout the County. The GeoData team is responsible for GIS services including spatial data, mapping, and data analysis for County internal customers and the public.
A GIS Analyst I serves as a technical representative to GIS clients and users and is responsible for complete and accurate applications of spatial and non-spatial data. This position will focus on data editing in Thurston County's enterprise geodatabase environment. The incumbent must work independently and collaboratively as a technical expert providing technical support in spatial data capture, editing, use, and QA/QC.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Providing direct customer support for the public, who are generally non-technical, with mapping and analyst services
- Providing support in the use of the County's GIS (GeoData) websites by the public and other County offices and departments
- Responding to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone, and electronically
- Installing, and tracking GIS software for County Offices
- Performing data stewardship of various spatial data themes
- Performing mapping services for a variety of County offices particularly as it pertains to data maintenance
- Developing and maintaining cartographic products
- Managing data sharing processes and agreements
- Assisting customers by remote access or guiding the customer to correct an issue
- Troubleshooting and diagnosis of GIS technology problems
- Developing and providing documentation for GIS processes
Work is performed in an office environment. The position requires the incumbent to sit for extended periods of time. Manual hand-dexterity to adequately manipulate computer components and operate a keyboard is essential. Sight is necessary to operate programs and systems and aid in diagnosing issues.
- Associate degree in computer science, management information, engineering, geography, or related field. Additional experience, which demonstrates progressive increasing responsibilities, may substitute for education on a year for year basis.
- One year of experience with GIS mapping related field work or applied use of GIS technology responsibility. Preferred experience should include a demonstrated knowledge in one or more of the following to successfully perform the essential job functions of the position:
- Thorough knowledge of hardware including personal computers, network servers, communication devices, printers, plotters, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software including network and desktop operating systems, office automation, programming languages, and database products.
- Thorough knowledge of system and network security.
- Current Washington State Driver's License or have requested and obtained an appropriate accommodation.
- Employment in this position is contingent upon passing a security background investigation.
To be successful in this position, candidates will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities required to support GIS services and business needs in a multi-functional, multi agency environment:
- Skill with Esri GIS products including ArcGIS Version 10.x, installing and troubleshooting same.
- Experience data editing with versioned SDE database, creating and maintaining metadata in an ArcSDE environment, managing and administering spatial and non-spatial data including data development and data maintenance.
- Ability to participate as a member of a self-directed work team and utilize the resources of other team members.
- Experience supporting customers with various skills levels, including the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all levels within the organization.
- Cartographic skills and the ability to create and maintain maps and map products.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of individuals and groups including customers in stressful situations; ability to work collaboratively with GIS and IT peers.
- Ability to conduct public presentations, GIS training, and tutoring.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines and to manage multiple projects and competing priorities successfully.
- Other Position Related Information
- Thurston County Information Technology Department Mission:
- Partner with our customers to serve the public.
One team united as effective stewards of County resources to deliver continually improving competitive services that meet customer business needs.
Our Customer Commitment:
We strive to build trust and to ensure that our customers feel welcomed, heard, informed, confident, and successful.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.