The GIS Analyst I position participates in the design and maintenance of the Florida counties 9-1-1 GIS data; and performs other related duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: (Not listed in order of importance; other duties may be assigned)
- Examines data quality and data accuracy
- Reviews and evaluates information and document sources for entry into the GIS
- Compiles thematic data and records into reports
- Enters delineated map and descriptive information into the GIS through digitizing, key entry or other standard map data entry procedures
- Experience with road centerline data as well as addressing structures
- Analyzes and interprets aerial photographs and maps to build GIS data elements
- Investigates and verifies geographic and land use data
- Researches the GIS needs of user clients
- Prepares models, diagrams and technical documentation for GIS applications, GIS database metadata and procedures
- Researches, gathers, reads, and interprets resource documents and/or digital data for use in GIS project
- Utilizes GIS/GPS technology to develop and produce maps, data, and reports.
- Performs quality assurance/quality control methods to prepare Public Safety GIS data
- Coordinates with county departments and outside agencies in matters relating to E911 GIS mapping
- Creates Python scripts to help automate 9-1-1 processes
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major work in physical or natural science, geography, engineering, planning, computer science or a related field
- At least one year of experience using GIS software in the design and production of thematic maps and other applications
- Equivalent combination of knowledge and specialized experience may be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
- Government contract may require person to possess proof of U.S. citizenship
- Knowledge of: geography as it applies to GIS; concepts and principles of GIS; mapping, cartography, surveying, and photogrammetry; data and word processing; operations, characteristics and capabilities of various types of GIS computer and peripheral equipment; Python scripting; GIS and relational database management concepts and theories; statistics; research methods and techniques.
- Ability to analyze, correlate and evaluate thematic map data and records; prepare maps, graphics, data printouts and written reports; use computer to enter and process text data files; maintain effective working relationships with others; formulate ideas and present them clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Strong self-starter requiring minimal supervision
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication to effectively express concepts, plans, and proposals
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: Employee will occasionally need to lift or move equipment weighing up to 15 pounds. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard. Hearing and speaking to exchange information. Seeing to view computer monitor. Sitting for extended periods of time.
Work environment: Professional office environment: temperature controlled office building, low noise level, standard office lighting or workplace is remotely located. May include vehicle based GPS data collection outdoors in hot, humid or inclement weather.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.