This position performs complex work assignments including data analysis, identification of traffic crash trends and patterns, asset management, comprehensive geographical mapping services, and the administration of GIS applications for the Mobility Services Department and the City's commitment to Vision Zero.
Essential Job Functions
- Accurately analyzes bicycle, pedestrian, and motor vehicle crash data, develops Geographic Information System (GIS) datasets, performs spatial analyses, and generates information products to convey complex ideas to provide decision support.
- Designs and develops mapping products to support department recommendation and decision-making processes for: signals, signs, traffic patterns, safety improvements, right-of-way allocation, and capital project development; integrates GIS and imagery data to provide operational support.
- Determines department asset management requirements; uses GIS and other related software and tools to integrate specialized departmental GIS data, identifies problems in existing data sources and implements actions for resolution, develops and produces a variety of products and services to support departmental operations.
- Provides data analysis, research support, and data visualization to planning, design and outreach teams for transportation projects. Serves as a liaison to other work groups and service centers on issues related to crash and other traffic safety data.
- Designs, develops, implements, and administers GIS datasets for use in operations, planning, research, and analysis; performs and coordinates GIS database administration and quality assurance assignments; develops, documents, and implements GIS data management workflow processes.
- Develops and implements custom GIS applications to ensure query capabilities and data manipulation access to GIS database layers; develops tools to automate input processes and performs a variety of data editing.
- Identifies, troubleshoots, and resolves GIS database discrepancies, automates corrections where possible and identifies database improvements; ensures the accuracy and reliability of data and GIS products in accordance with established standards.
- Assists in the training of staff and users in the operation and application of GIS, and provides technical support as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree required in Computer Science, Geography, or Information Systems; with two years of GIS software experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license with an acceptable driving history.
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
- Considerable knowledge of GIS computer database development and management.
- Considerable knowledge of computerized cartographic/mapping hardware and software.
- Considerable knowledge of computerized mapping symbols, standards, and terminology.
- Working knowledge of computer programming using different languages as applicable to GIS systems.
- Skill in the use and operation of computers and peripheral equipment such as digitizers, plotters, and drafting instruments. Ability to collect, organize, and analyze data and develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to read and interpret aerial photographs, maps, deeds, and legal descriptions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.