The purpose of this position is to administer a citywide Geographic Information System (GIS), which includes planning, organizing, directing, and evaluating GIS activities, databases, and mapping.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Implements, administers and operates GIS systems including related software and hardware.
- Works with end users and City leadership to identify current and future GIS needs; provides recommendations to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness of mapping and GIS services.
- Provides education, training, information and assistance to users regarding GIS systems operations, procedures, problems, software functions, and other related issues.
- Develops short and long-term plans, goals, and objectives for Citywide GIS services.
- Provides specialized technical and analytical geospatial assistance that will support the development and maintenance of datasets.
- Oversees data collection projects; creates GIS related data sets; collects, converts and uses data sets from outside sources; and publishes data sets as required.
- Uses programming languages and/or scripting languages to integrate GIS with existing applications and to automate routine GIS tasks or procedures; creates codes and maintains web or mobile based GIS solutions.
- Designs, creates, and administers geographic and relational databases containing spatial elements and other types of information, specifically: hydrography, typography, infrastructure, and political/legal boundaries; establishes, maintains, and updates links; converts geographical information into digital form for use with the GIS; evaluates and reviews outsourced projects including aerial photography and digital base mapping.
- Prepares maps and spatial analysis results for City or departmental projects, predictive modeling, analyzing trends, etc.; makes presentations regarding results as needed.
- Conducts quality assurance audits to ensure City, County, and SDSFIE standards are met.
- Assists IT Manager in evaluating software, hardware, and operational requirements needed for GIS services; identifies potential vendors; assists with preparation and evaluation of RFB’s and RFP’s as needed.
- Prepares systems documentation and operational procedures, such as design and security policies; recommends and/or writes policies and procedures as required; monitors use of GIS systems for compliance.
- Prepares and/or receives various forms, reports, correspondence, flow charts, or other documents; reviews, completes, processes, forwards, maintains and/or takes other action as appropriate.
- Assists IT Manager with budgeting and monitoring expenditures for GIS related services and products.
- Stays abreast of trends and emerging technologies; recommends new technologies to City leadership and staff.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned. All incumbents may not perform all job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of principles of Geography and Geographic Information Systems
- Knowledge of ESRI software applications and spatial analysis including: network analysis, spatial analysis, and 3D analysis
- Knowledge of the Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment (SDSFIE)
- Knowledge of City of Alabaster rules, policies, and procedures
- Basic knowledge of urban planning principles and planning processes
- Knowledge of utility networks and modeling of connectivity/flow rules
- Excellent technical skills in GIS software applications and data collection methods such as GPS.
- Skill in analyzing and presenting information
- Skill in customer service and relaying information to end users with varying technological skills
- Ability to collect, organize, evaluate, and interpret data
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize work
- Ability to write scripts for GIS software integration and automation
- Ability to develop maps for visualization and analysis
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and proactively to take initiative and solve complex problems
- Ability to exercise sound judgment within the scope of responsibility
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
- Must be able to drive to assigned locations
- Must be able and willing to perform fieldwork
Required - Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Geography, Cartography, Geomatics, Information Systems Management, or a related field is required; five years’ experience with GIS design, implementation, management and/or project supervision; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Must have experience with ESRI GIS software and experience with GIS data and CAD integration.
Preferred - Master’s degree and/or certification as a GIS Professional (GISP) is preferred. GIS experience in a local government setting is preferred.
The physical activities required for this position involve: Frequent sitting, talking, hearing; occasional standing, walking, reaching with hands and arms, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.