SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under direction of the Regional Planning and Economic Development Department, the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) & Zoning Specialist will be responsible for County GIS updates with regards to, but not limited to: addressing, zoning, and thematic mapping, data collection and data input, database management, and spatial analysis. This position also assists with zoning and planning administration.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Serve as the primary contact person regarding map requests from the public, professionals and County employees.
- Provide timely and accurate customer service for map requests using ESRI
- Assign and verifies addresses for new and existing developments and subdivisions in the
- Assist with the management of planning related databases, projects, and GIS training for department
- Provide departmental GIS support and evaluation on a variety of planning related issues; including land use planning, code amendments, and other
- Assist with the coordination of GIS activities with the department and represent concerns to other County departments and consulting
- Assist with the planning, development and management of various grants and special
- Assists with processing development applications, residential or commercial permits and plans, handled customer inquiries at the counter, over the phone, or by
- Evaluate subdivision plats for conformance with County policy and codes; such as mapping standards and practices, addressing, and zoning / subdivision requirements.
- Conducts historic property research, reads, interprets, and maps legal descriptions, and occasionally performs site (field) visits.
- Digitizes proposed developments (building, parking lots, landscaping plans, etc.)
- Performs other related duties as assigned or
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Requires a four-year degree in GIS, Civil Engineering, Planning, Computer Science or other related field; a minimum of three (3) years experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Must be proficient in ESRI software, including ArcMap (Advanced) and ArcCatalog.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of mapping concepts; including projections, topology, relational databases and cartographic production.
- Knowledge of zoning and the principles of community and urban planning is preferred.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to learn new technologies. Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and oral form. Ability to travel for work purposes as required.
Starting salary is $34,694.40 per year inclusive of medical and dental benefits, IMRF pension, paid sick, personal, vacation and 12 holidays.
Interested applicants, please send a cover letter, resume and 3 work references by November 24, 2019 to:
Winnebago County Human Resources
ATTN: GIS and Zoning Specialist Position
404 Elm Street - Rm. 220
Rockford, IL 61101
Applicants may also apply at the following webpage:
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.