Under the general supervision of the Director of Engineering, this position is primarily responsible for the overall management, development, implementation, operation, maintenance and training activities of the City's GIS system and other Engineering/Public Works related systems and SCADA technologies.
Environmental Conditions & Physical Demands
- Working in an office setting with a computer is the primary aspect of this position, with some exposure to machinery, noise and all types of weather conditions during field activities.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time is required.
- Performs professional and technical work in the ongoing management and development of the city’s GIS system; Supervises and manages the performance of subordinate staff performing GIS, records management or other related assignments.
- Implements and maintains GIS related standards and quality control procedures, and updates GIS databases and maps using GIS software and related equipment; Designs custom databases and user interfaces using appropriate programming languages as needed.
- Serves as the principal advisor to all departments on GIS related issues; Works closely with end-users to understand their GIS-related needs; Designs, tests and implements GIS solutions based on end-user requirements; Provides end-user training as needed.
- Plans and implements the city’s long-range GIS plan, including hardware, software, applications, and data conversion; Manages GIS related projects and initiatives, including timing and phasing based on available resources and operational priorities.
- Researches developing technologies and recommends expenditures for software and capital equipment; Develops specifications and oversees the purchase of computer hardware, software and maintenance contracts in support of GIS as needed.
- Manages and coordinates the implementation, maintenance, expansion, and enhancement of the City’s Public Works automation and control system (SCADA) and asset and maintenance management system (Lucity).
- Education: A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Urban Planning or a closely related field is required.
- Experience: Four or more years of experience in developing and implementing comprehensive GIS programs, and two years in a management/supervisory capacity is required.
- Extensive knowledge of ArcInfo, ArcView, and/or AutoCAD MAP is required. Experience with Visual Basic, VBA, C++ programming languages is required. Experience with SCADA or other public works related automation and control systems is desired.
- License: Must possess a valid Kansas Driver's License.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.