The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hiring an advanced level GIS Specialist to work within our Division of Forestry, located at 101 S. Webster St, Madison. The Division of Forestry works in partnership to administer programs that protect and sustain our forested lands throughout the state, combining a variety of expertise to help meet the many demands on the forest both today and for many years to come.
In addition to many appealing benefits, the DNR offers a fun, casual work environment, flexible scheduling (depending on the position), and opportunities for career development. The DNR is an inclusive, diverse agency that prides itself on commitment to sustainability and giving back to the community. Come join the Department of Natural Resources where you can contribute to rewarding and meaningful work!
Click here, for additional information about State Government positions.
Position Summary: The GIS Specialist is an advanced level GIS position within the Division of Forestry.
This person works primarily using applications to analyze geospatial / remotely sensed data, solve problems, maintain data and services, create solutions and facilitate decision making for the Division of Forestry (FR). The FR GIS Specialist is an internal and external GIS technical and project consultant for staff, leadership, inter-divisional teams, and partner groups.
The GIS Specialist maintains contemporary knowledge and expertise by staying abreast of current research and maintaining an effective professional network. The person in this role analyzes new or emerging geo-spatial and remote sensing technologies and provides guidance to the division’s management concerning specific information systems that support the forestry division’s business needs. Additionally, the position assures that forestry IT applications meet department and enterprise standards.
For a detailed position description, click here.
Special Notes: Employment will require the selected candidate to pass a background check. DNR does not sponsor work visas, thus, in compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify eligibility to work in the United States by completing the required I-9 form upon hire.
Qualifications: Required qualifications include professional work experience in all of the following:
1. Utilizing ESRI’s ArcGIS technologies, including experience customizing web mapping applications (e.g. map service development/management, custom tool development, etc.) and creating vector and raster data
2. Creating scripts for managing data or automating processes
3. Database management, creation, and maintenance, including knowledge of Microsoft Access, ArcSDE and SQL
Additionally, preferred skills include:
1. Working as a member on a complex technical project defined as a custom application that edits spatial data, is comprised of 3 or more technical staff and a business representative, and serves more than 100 customers
2. Experience serving as an internal point of contact (or subject matter expert) providing GIS consultation and support to natural resource professionals
3. Relevant work experience in a Natural Resources field
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.