Seattle City Light, a department of the City of Seattle, is one of the nation's largest municipally owned utilities in terms of the number of customers served. Over the years we have worked very hard to keep Seattle's electricity affordable, reliable, and environmentally sound. Today, City Light is a recognized national leader in energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.
The Enterprise GIS strategic initiative program will replace Seattle City Light's incompatible GIS databases, viewers, and software with a comprehensive enterprise level GIS solution. This includes integrating existing and emerging systems such as the Outage Management System, the Work and Asset Management System, Mobile Workforce, Advanced Metering Infrastructure, Engineering Design and System Planning, etc. This position will plan, manage, and provide strategic direction for SCL's GIS Business Architecture.
This position will also supervise four employees and oversee the work of assigned project staff and contractors engaged in the full range of Enterprise GIS project implementation including consultation, scope management, budget management, schedule management, change management, and other deliverables.
This position will report to the GIS and Asset Information Manager.
- Plan and manage SCL's Enterprise GIS Business Architecture for all business units that require GIS services. Provide project leadership on development of work processes for acquiring and managing Geospatial information including the consolidation, storage, validation and analysis of the information.
- Define SCL-required Enterprise GIS program.
- Manage the development of; comprehensive and detailed scope, schedule, and budget for deployment of the Enterprise GIS program.
- Develop program budget, performance, scope, schedule, issues, risks, quality and business measurements for work group.
- Identify, organize, and lead teams and manage staff and contractors involved in initiating, planning, controlling, executing and closing tasks to produce required deliverables.
- Resolve issues of scope, resource availability, resource expertise, budget constraints and deadlines.
- Develop a basis for GIS information exchange and cooperation with other agencies; explore possibilities of gaining synergies, through implementation of the information sharing activities.
- Contribute to a more detailed work plan to supplement the Memorandum of Understanding between the SCL Enterprise GIS team and other agencies, especially for information sharing and knowledge transfer activities.
- Work on selection processes of the appropriate software for the Enterprise GIS. This is expected to include developing selection criteria, requirements, scripts, potential site visits and demonstrations, all within a proper timeline.
- Work to support system development and deployment as part of the Program Support Office staff.
- Work with business units affected by implementation of new Enterprise GIS. Lead teams of IT and business unit representatives.
- Assist the Program Support Team in identifying GIS Business Architect requirements for projects.
- Increase the exchange of information management with other agencies, neighboring electric utilities and City agencies; and explore possible areas of cooperation.
- Develop a plan through which to encourage SCL and other agencies to take a more active interest in sharing GIS information into the work deliverables of these agencies.
- Perform all other respective work which becomes relevant to implement Enterprise GIS Strategic Initiative.
- Insure compliance and accomplishment of all work tasks.
- Prepare written, detailed work plans, schedules and budgets for workgroup activity.
- Track and evaluate costs to monitor progress and ensure compliance with GIS Business Architect specifications.
- Prepare or contribute reports and presentations to Utility Executives, the Mayor and the City Council as required.
- Manage the Enterprise GIS Strategic Imitative budget of $10 million to successfully complete the approved Enterprise GIS Roadmap.
Education: A Bachelor's of Science degree in fields such as Computer Science, Business Administration, GIS, Engineering Technology, or Public Administration is required or a combination of education, and/or training, and/or experience that provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of this classification.
- At least three years of experience managing or supervising teams responsible for GIS or database management.
- Three or more years of experience with GIS products (e.g. ESRI), working as a Project Manager or Business Architect for medium to large GIS projects affecting many end users, multiple organizational units and with high visibility.
- At least three years experience implementing in a GIS development environment, knowledge of GIS, cartography, cadastral data, understanding of mapping projections and various commercial mapping products.
- Certification/License: State of Washington Driver's License or equivalent mobility
- 7 years' experience in a related field and electrical utility experience preferred.
- IT Certifications would be preferred, such MCP, MCSE, MCSA.
- Knowledgeable about the utility's GIS systems (e.g. DAMS, NetGIS).
- Ability to quickly learn and retain significant project technical information and use it in managing the project to a successful conclusion.
- Strong communication skills.
- Partner with SCL business units and other city departments.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.