The primary function of an employee in this class is to collect and compile accurate GPS data for GIS databases, using surveying methods, mapping research, analytical skills and checks for accuracy and results achieved. All work is related to the collection and maintenance of GIS data.
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it. Employees are responsible for all other duties as assigned.
• Obtains land survey data, such as angles, elevations, points, and contours, using electronic measuring equipment and other GPS surveying instruments;
• Compiles notes, sketches and records of GPS survey data obtained and work performed;
• Verifies identification of topographical features and accuracy of contour lines by comparison with aerial photographs, old maps and other reference materials;
• Prepares detailed records of collected GPS data, in accordance with pre-determined formats;
• Transcribes & loads data in paper or other electronic forms into the GIS database;
• Adjusts and operates GPS surveying instruments;
• Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities;
• Performs all work duties and activities in accordance City policies and procedures;
• Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City's Safety Handbook.
Essential Physical Abilities:
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone, in writing and in person;
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to record land survey data, and review and update departmental maps and master plans;
• Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate survey equipment and other office equipment;
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in an outdoor environment under adverse weather conditions and rugged terrain.
• High school diploma or GED; and
• Three (3) to five (5) years' experience in computer aided drafting and computer mapping and/or GPS surveying using GPS surveying equipment; and
• Valid Arizona Driver's License with acceptable driving record; or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• Recent experience with maintenance of GIS data using ArcGIS;
• Recent experience with GPS field data collection using GPS equipment
The position available is a regular full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler will conduct a pre-employment MVRRS (Motor Vehicle Record Request System) check as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon acceptable results.
The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.