Geographic Information Services, Inc. (GISinc) is a small business whose core purpose is to create insight through spatial technology. This is an opportunity to work with one of the leading GIS consulting organizations. We are looking for technical people that want to tackle those tough to solve problems and love delivering solutions.
If you have exceptional talent and interpersonal skills and meet the following description, please submit a detailed CV that outlines the experience and requirements to https://gisinc.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2isqasu6sck.
Role: GIS Specialist – Washington, DC
The primary role of the seven contracted GIS Specialists will be to research, identify and acquire specific data from staff within a state; to develop those data into geospatial layers which conform to defined data standards, are topologically correct and are in accordance with FGDC and BLM metadata standard, and finally, to ensure that all state level data compilations roll up to national views. Two GIS Specialists will support state geospatial staff performing the process described above as well as providing support to the BLM NOC Geospatial staff in developing national level views. Data priorities, initial mash-ups of geospatial data, methods and strategy will be provided and discussed prior to deployment via orientation. Secondary duties include performing initial Quality Control (QC) on all acquired data as well as on produced geospatial representations of that data and to report on QC issues unresolved, to document via required geospatial metadata as well as via monthly progress reports, and to perform mapping for QC and update briefing purposes.
Candidates must be eligible for federal security clearance and proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Attend trainings and orientation as scheduled.
- Identify and acquire data in native formats from field and state offices. Priority data lists and methods will be provided that the GIS Specialist will work from. This may require exploring and searching for data via communication with a wide variety of field and state staff.
- Convert all formats of data acquired into single, well-documented geospatial files at a state or national level.
- Create and ensure BLM and FGDC standard metadata is associated with each geospatial file.
- Prepare and submit weekly status/progress reports for the COR and state staff in the format provided by the COR.
- Prepare maps for progress demonstration or to illustrate data complexities and issues.
- Communicate and work with an extended interdisciplinary team across the BLM to ensure proper understanding of programmatic data elements, BLM data standards and geospatial methods guidance.
- Assist with data collection, consolidation, sharing and general data management activities.
- Generate geospatial data, databases, analysis, maps, services and applications according to BLM standard or specification.
- Participate in the monthly/weekly BLM conference calls and in-person meetings as scheduled.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Geography/GIS, Science, Engineering or related field
- Demonstrate experience of 2+ years developing and editing geospatial data using BLM standard geospatial tools, specifically ArcGIS/ArcMap, SDE and other ESRI developed GIS tools deployed within BLM
- Demonstrate experience of 2+ years in development and documentation of geospatial data via FGDC compliant metadata.
- Demonstrate experience of greater than 2 years developing and reviewing geospatial or tabular data to meet data standards, such as ensuring requisite data schemas, file naming conventions, etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of concepts and principles of geospatial data management and general data Quality Assurance processes.
- Demonstrate experience in developing written technical documentation (such as metadata, training materials, workflow diagrams, white papers, etc.).
- Demonstrate experience in creating maps to communicate issues, to provide status updates or provide general spatial information to lay persons and geospatial experts.
- Demonstrate the ability to orally communicate technical information effectively to lay persons and geospatial technical experts alike.
Ideal (in addition to required experience):
- 1+ year experience handling complex ecological, natural resource or environmental landscape data.
- 1+ year experience scripting or otherwise automating edit processes.
- 1+ year experience using established metadata tools and programs that are FGDC compliant or in advanced xml handling.
Competencies and Skills:
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with a wide range of people.
- Comfortable working in high paced environment.
- Able to translate technical concepts into layman’s terms.
- Able to coordinate with program stakeholders.
- In depth knowledge of GIS data development, editing and quality control procedures.
- Self-motivated, pro-active, and ability to multi-task.
- Onsite at the BLM Regional Office in Washington, DC
- Travel up to 20% of the time
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled Employer
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.