The Washington DC Economic Partnership Fall 2017 Internship Work Program
The Research & Real Estate Department at the Washington, DC Economic Partnership (WDCEP) hopes to mentor a GIS Intern for fall 2017.
The WDCEP is looking for individuals who are interested in GIS and how it relates to urban planning and commercial development and can thrive in a professional office environment.
In addition to the critical experience gained at WDCEP, this position will work on a complete semester-long project designed to showcase the intern’s skills and interests to potential future employers.
- Develop skills in GIS, data analysis, and economic development data & research
- Learn about urban planning, real estate, and retail climate in Washington, DC
- Attend events/meetings and build connections with the commercial real estate community, local business owners, local government officials, and community development organizations
- Produce a semester-long project that the intern can use as evidence of work history in future job interviews and applications
DC Development Mapping Project
- The intern will work primarily on the DC Development Mapping Project, representing development/construction projects at the parcel level and storing in a geodatabase. This data will ultimately be used in WDCEP’s Economic Development Prospecting Tool.
- Create online, interactive story-maps using ArcGIS Online
- Participate in WDCEP’s Map of the Month, which is distributed in our newsletter & social media channels and has been featured in The Washington Post, Technical.ly and DCist.
- digitizing data from electronic or paper maps and images
- Use development data to analyze growth areas of DC
- Review Planned Unit Development and Large Tract Review applications to determine a project’s scope and geography
- Mapping the Impact Economy
Administrative / Other
- Assist with special events as needed
- Assist WDCEP staff in other departments
- Must be available at least 16 hours/week (2 days)
- Experience using ArcGIS / ArcMap desktop (v. 10+)
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from an undergraduate or graduate program
- Degree or interest in Geography, GIS, Economics, Economic Development, Urban or Regional Planning, Real Estate Development/Management, Public Policy, Business, or similar program
- Competent in Microsoft Office
- Excellent writing skills and ability to pay attention to detail
Please note that this internship is unpaid. The intern will receive a travel stipend to help cover public transportation to and from work.
If you are interested please send resume, cover letter, and work or class project sample (optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your availability and why you believe you qualify for the internship in your cover letter.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.