Under the direction of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager, manages and designs the GIS enterprise as related to projects and application development. Assists with the design, development and maintenance of geospatial applications through concept, design, and implementation phases. Coordinates the control and maintenance of GIS enterprise operation tasks across various agencies within Cook County to ensure compatibility and integration with the enterprise strategic plan. Maintains and updates system documentation and ensures procedures are executed properly and in a timely manner. Consults with senior level staff and departmental managers as necessary. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Geography; Mapping; Urban Planning; Geographic Information Science; Computer Science; Geology; Environmental Science; or Civil or Environmental Engineering. (Must provide original college/university transcript at time of interview)*
- Five (5) years of full-time work experience in Geographic Information Technology using the ESRI technology platform to conduct analysis.
Working knowledge of ArcGIS online.
*Degrees awarded outside of the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States’ territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of software compliance to ensure it is adhered to for all systems supported by the department.
- Thorough knowledge of ESRI GIS software, related geospatial technology, Microsoft Windows OS, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong background in data management.
- Ability to work with ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server.
- Skill publishing services to ArcGIS Server and working with the ArcGIS Server REST API.
- Skill performing needs and workforce assessments for specific agencies to facilitate/strategize effective GIS utilization.
- Skill in the creation of web design/development.
- Skill utilizing Python.
- Ability to manage GIS data within at least one of the following: Oracle, SQL Server, and/or PostgreSQL database environments.
- Ability to coordinate with multiple agencies to develop applications for visualization, analysis and presentation of environmental data.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies, work in a team environment, and quickly turnaround maps, application prototypes or deliverables.
- Ability to provide senior technical leadership to the Enterprise GIS, including being conversant with the future direction of systems, how that direction will impact the enterprise, and how future and current systems can be exploited to the benefit of the County.
The duties listed are not set forth for purposes of limiting the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the many duties normally to be performed under a job title or those to be performed temporarily outside an employee's normal line of work.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.