Develops, maintains and prepares Geographic Information Systems (GIS) maps, geodatabases, applications, and extract, load, and transfer scripts related to the implementation, deployment and use of a Regional GIS repository and related technologies; performs directly related work as required.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, Planning, Computer Science or Public Administration/Business Management with Management Information System emphasis;
- Considerable experience in professional level GIS implementation, planning, design and development or a closely related area; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
EDUCATIONAL TRANSCRIPTS VERIFYING DEGREE MUST BE SUBMITTED UPON APPLICATION SUBMITTAL.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
- Valid Iowa Driver's License or evidence of equivalent mobility.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only):
- Performs complex GIS database queries, calculations, geocoding, geoprocessing, and other spatial and attribute analysis techniques to support a variety of City functions
- Creates presentation quality maps applying standard cartographic principles using GIS and other graphics software;
- Develops and maintains GIS applications (desktop, web, and mobile);
- Maintains and updates geodatabases using GIS software;
- Conducts mapping research, in the field and in the office, to resolve conflicting information and ensure the accuracy of the data;
- Develops and manages enterprise geodatabases and data extract, load, and transfer processes between related databases and various data formats
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide seamless customer service;
- Reviews products, literature, and case studies to develop recommendations for GIS data and application development standards and the selection of GIS related technology
- Provides training and knowledge base documentation and current listings of data condition and availability;
- Develops quality control and metadata procedures to apply to all GIS projects and geodatabases;
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas;
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems;
- Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner; Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.