Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work and competitive pay and benefits.:
This position can be located in Charlotte, NC or Raleigh, NC. The specific work location will be discussed during the interview.
This is the second level of the non-Engineer degreed technical support role job within the Engineering Technologist classification. Engineering Technologist II applies technical expertise to solve more complex problems and management skills to provide oversight and direction of work in a specific area of expertise, with some supervision. Incumbents are expected to develop deeper technical skills and the ability to work with an increasing degree of independence. This position will be responsible for designing subdivision distribution projects for North Carolina.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- The purpose of this position is to accurately evaluate options, and design safe, cost effective, reliable facilities for new subdivision design projects, both single phase and three phase, that are large and complex in nature. Due to this position’s internal customer interaction and/or job complexity, this position is required to be self-motivated, savvy, reliable, and trustworthy as well as technically competent.
- This self-directed individual develops good working relationships with internal customers in order to support the needs of the external customers, builders, developers, electricians, other utilities, city officials, etc. The position promotes methods and procedures that maximize effectiveness.
- Additionally this position will require to accurately evaluate voltage, loading, and reliability on the electric distribution system, provide cost-effective solutions to allow for system expansion, and to maximize safety and service reliability. Furthermore the position may also be used to complete outage follow up and implement outage prevention measures on distribution facilities in an assigned area. This individual may also be involved in the resolution of power quality issues.
- This position provides advanced engineering expertise to recognize and resolve complex engineering problems, assists in interpreting codes, standards, regulations, requirements and guidelines. Work contributes significantly to balancing customer service, and reliability needs within capital budget constraints.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems in area of expertise.
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities.
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches.
- Conducts engineering and related studies.
- Strives to continually improve job-related, technical and professional knowledge, skills and performance.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
Either a graduate from a college or university with Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology (or equivalent), OR 2+ years of experience and Associate Degree in Engineering Technology (or equivalent), OR 6+ years equivalent experience without a degree.
- Demonstrated Distribution Design Experience
- Experience in the utility industry.
- Understanding of electric power industry
- Understanding of basic principles of project management.
- Demonstrated effective negotiating skills
- Demonstrated effective time management skills
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient user of PC based programs including, but not limited to MS Office, Expert Designer, SEDS, Work Management systems, etc
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Demonstrated decision making skills
- Possesses thorough understanding of Electric Distribution materials, ZERO INJURY culture, work procedures, CIAC Charging Policy, and work dependencies
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.